Instagram is pausing to work on a version for kids under 13, called “Instagram Kids,” the Facebook-owned photo-sharing app said Monday.
Instagram Kids was hailed as demanding parental permission to participate and deliver ad-free, age-appropriate content, but U.S. lawmakers and advocacy groups have urged the social media giant to drop its launch plans citing security concerns.
“We will not stop pushing Facebook until they permanently pull the plug,” said Josh Golin, CEO of Fairplay, an advocacy group focused on children.
Instagram said in a blog post that building Instagram Kids was the right thing to do, but it stopped the work and would continue to build on its parental management tools.
“The reality is that children are already online, and we believe that it is far better to develop age-appropriate experiences designed specifically for them than where we are today,” it says.
The Wall Street Journal published a report earlier this month focusing on data suggesting that Instagram had a detrimental effect on teens, especially teenage girls, and that Facebook had made minimal efforts to address the issue. However, Facebook has said the report is inaccurate.