DJI is out with the latest expansion of its popular Osmo lineup of smartphone gimbals. The new Osmo Mobile 6 aims to take your iPhone camera to the next level with advanced stabilization, a new Quick Launch feature and more. It can be ordered today and the price starts at $159.
DJI Osmo Mobile 6 for iPhone
One of the main features of the new Osmo Mobile 6 is a new Quick Launch function. Exclusive to iPhone users, this feature automatically triggers a push notification when you connect your iPhone to the stabilizer. From this push notification, you can instantly jump into the companion DJI Mimo app with a single tap.
In addition to the new Quick Launch function, DJI Osmo Mobile 6 also includes a new built-in status panel as well as a dedicated mode button. These let you check the battery level and quickly switch between each of the four recording modes in the Mimo app:
- Follow: In follow mode, the camera view follows the pan and tilt movements of the gimbal and remains level during rolls. This mode is suitable for taking pictures up, down and diagonally.
- Toggle lock: The camera view only follows the panning movement of the gimbal and remains stable during tilts and rolls – ideal for shooting horizontally or moving around a subject.
- FPV: In FPV mode, all three axes of the gimbal follow the movement of the handle. This is wonderful for dynamically capturing still images such as landmarks, buildings or statues.
- SpinShot: Push the joystick left or right to control the rotation of the camera view and create dynamic shots. It is perfect for shooting push, pull and high angle shots.
There’s a new slider that DJI says lets you adjust the focal length for flexible composition and zoom in and out. You can also create a “biographical look with a tap on the slider to switch to manual focus control.”
Like previous generations of the Osmo Mobile gimbal, there are also some built-in intelligence features:
- Timeshift: Warp time and space with Timelapse, Motionlapse and Hyperlapse. With these three simple templates, beautiful moments can be blended into impressive clips.
- Dynamic Zoom: Use Move In and Move Out modes to get stretching and compressing visual effects, creating stunning shots with just your phone.
- Motion Control: Taking a picture or starting a video has never been so convenient. Simple gestures make it easy to take a selfie or group photo.
- Panorama: Three different panorama modes – 3×3, 240° and CloneMe – are available to help capture those stunning landscapes or unique compositions.
- Story mode: Various templates help combine camera movements, transitions, audio tracks and more, so users can share eye-catching videos with a single tap, or create a custom template.
Finally, DJI presents a new version of its ActiveTrack function, called ActiveTrack 5.0. This packs “more stable tracking at longer distances” and “lets the front camera track subjects that turn to the side or turn.”
The DJI Osmo Mobile 6 can be ordered today from the DJI website for $159. The bundle includes a magnetic clamp, stand, power cable and storage bag.
One thing that is particularly interesting this year is that the new iPhone 14 offers a built-in Action Mode feature for the first time. This feature, according to Apple, is intended to correct significant shakes, vibrations and unintended movements when recording video. Early testing shows that it’s a pretty impressive feature.
Based on previous generations of Osmo Mobile gimble, it will probably provide better stabilization than Action Mode. One thing I’m keen to see though is how Action Mode and the Osmo Mobile 6 could work together.
On the other hand, I would also bet that the addition of Action Mode built into the iPhone 14 could be enough for many people who may have previously opted for a dedicated piece of hardware like the DJI Osmo Mobile 6.
We’ll have more coverage of the DJI Osmo Mobile 6 over the coming weeks, and we’ll be sure to put it head-to-head with the iPhone 14’s Action Mode.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: