Four ways healthcare providers have benefited from Intersight Workload Optimizer
IT operations teams are like doctors. Doctors practice preventive medicine to help patients keep their health on track. When a patient’s health goes off track, the doctor minimizes symptoms through medication and rest, and they perform assessments to identify the cause of the disorder.
Similarly, IT operations teams keep their organizations’ mission-critical applications on track by providing compute, network and storage resources. Sometimes an application shows symptoms that indicate something is wrong (such as sluggish performance). If the root cause is severe enough and not addressed, it can lead to downtime and affect the end-user experience.
Treating symptoms of poor application performance
Too often, IT teams spend most of their time addressing the symptoms of underperforming applications or resurrecting them when they go offline. They are alerted when there is a problem, but they cannot easily find out the cause. This means that the symptoms are treated to keep applications running, but the underlying cause(s) remain untreated, which can lead to recurring application performance issues and expensive staff time spent resolving them.
How to stay ahead of application resource issues
Application resource management solutions such as Cisco Intersight Workload Optimizer (IWO) provide key features to help IT teams prevent problems with application resources while optimizing costs to control their budgets.
Here are four examples where Cisco healthcare customers used application resource management to sustain the health of their organizations’ applications in a financially responsible manner.
1) Ensuring mission-critical application performance
A healthcare service provider experienced performance issues with mission-critical applications. They couldn’t identify where in the stack the problems were coming from, so they used AppDynamics and IWO to gain deep visibility from their applications through their underlying computing infrastructure, specifically into hundreds of virtual machines. The visibility showed them when application performance began to stretch VM workloads and how they could optimize their virtual environment to ensure continuous resources for optimal application performance. In addition to delivering continuous uptime for their mission-critical applications, the customer has used IWO to optimize workloads in the public cloud and reduce public cloud expenses by 40%.
2) Maintaining application performance at a lower cost
1) To provide continuous application uptime, a healthcare provider in the Midwestern United States uses on-premises infrastructure and hosting services through a public cloud provider. However, the costs of local infrastructure and cloud resources were rising rapidly and were not sustainable. Using IWO’s “what-if” scenario planning, Cisco worked with the customer’s IT group to demonstrate how to right-size new server purchases and identify the most cost-effective cloud resources to meet their budget requirements. As a result, the healthcare provider can continue to provide computing resources to deliver experiences that their application users expect, while delivering tangible cost savings.
2) A Southeast US healthcare provider and Cisco UCS customer needed to improve overall infrastructure availability, specifically by gaining better insight into the real-time status of VMs and other computing resources. With a limited IT budget, they also had to extend the life of existing systems to reduce their CapEx expenses. Using IWO, the healthcare provider identified an opportunity to reduce the number of hosts by 50% while maintaining the same utilization levels and avoiding unnecessary CapEx investments. At the same time, the healthcare provider used IWO to ensure workload configurations adhere to its policies, helping the customer improve its HIPAA compliance position.
3) Performing an EHR cloud migration analysis
This healthcare provider needed to update its Epic hyperspace environment for its primary electronic health record (EHR) system. Their IT team was considering moving to the EHR provider’s cloud-based IaaS solution. The Cisco team used IWO to perform a detailed Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)/Return on Investment (ROI) analysis. The study demonstrated the ability to maintain desired application performance with fewer servers (and less cost) than the EHR provider mandated. The analysis revealed that the healthcare provider would save $500,000 per month over three years, or $18 million, by using an on-premises UCS solution instead of the hosted solution. The healthcare provider also continued to use IWO to continue optimizing its virtual environment for ongoing application resource management and cost containment.
Keep your applications in shape through application resource management
As a healthcare provider, your patients, caregivers and others depend on your applications. With solutions like IWO at your disposal, you have the power to adopt best practices in application resource management and ensure uptime to deliver the experiences your users expect while achieving cost-cutting opportunities. Rise above treating the symptoms of an ailing infrastructure; exercise proactive management of application resources with Cisco Intersight Workload Optimizer to keep your applications and infrastructure in exceptional shape.
See for yourself the benefits of IWO
Are you a Cisco UCS customer? Are you unsure where you can optimize your resources to reduce costs? Contact us now or start IWO’s free trial today.