All Apple Watch models running watchOS 7 or later include a battery health feature called Optimized Battery Charging that extends the overall battery life of your Apple Watch by learning from your habits and waiting to finish charging all the way up until you must use your Apple Watch.
Apple Watch Ultra can last up to 36 hours on a single charge – the longest battery life of any Apple Watch – and to further extend battery life, Apple Watch Ultra offers even more intelligent battery charge optimization with something called Optimized Charge Limit.
On by default when you set up your Apple Watch, Optimized Charge Limit uses on-device machine learning to analyze your daily usage and determine when to charge to an optimized limit and when to allow a full charge. The function changes dynamically depending on how you use your Apple Watch Ultra. Based on usage patterns, your watch can e.g. charge to 100% on some days and less on others.
When Optimized Charge Limit is active, an open charging ring will appear when you connect your Apple Watch Ultra to its charger. It is possible to charge your watch beyond the optimized limit by following the steps below.
How to Charge Apple Watch Ultra Beyond the Optimized Charge Limit
- Make sure your Apple Watch Ultra is connected to its charger.
- Tap the watch display to wake up the charging screen, then tap the circle with the green or yellow charging icon.
- Press on Charge to full now.
How to disable optimized tax limit
If you want your Apple Watch Ultra to fully charge every time it is put on the charger, disable Optimized Battery Charging by following these simple steps.
- open Settings app on your Apple Watch Ultra.
- Scroll down and tap Battery.
- Press on Battery health.
- Hit the switch next to it Optimized charge limit.
- Choose Turn off until tomorrow or Power off.
Help with optimized charging identify locations
Optimized charging is designed to activate only in places where you spend the most time, such as your home and work. The feature is not activated when your usage habits are more variable, such as when you travel.
To help your Apple Watch Ultra identify situations where Optimized Charge Limit should not be used, enable the following location settings in Settings app on your Apple Watch Ultra:
- Privacy -> Location Services -> Location Services
- Privacy > Location Services > System Services > System Customization
- Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Important Locations > Important Locations
The location information for this feature stays on your watch and none of it is sent to Apple.