Among the eternal truths about computer setups, first comes “a setup is never finished.” And the second could be: “A setup can always be improved.” The user behind today’s featured setup definitely figured out #2 when he asked for advice on how to improve his M1 Max MacBook Pro and dual-Studio Display workstation.
Find all the advice below — jokes ‘n’ all — as well as all the setup’s excellent gear.
This post contains affiliate links. Cult of Mac may earn a commission when you use our links to purchase items.
All the ways Redditors would improve the user’s dual-Studio Display setup
Redditor Justice675 showcased the setup and asked for recommendations for possible improvements in a post titled, “Always looking for improvements! Let me know what you think!”
And since this is social media, the first comments on the post came in the form of jokes.
“[It’s] too busy with two studio monitors. Send me one,” said one commenter, hoping for a free $1,600 screen.
“A true minimalist would only use the screen on the MacBook. I’ll take the other Studio Display,” added another contender.
Baker’s dozen: 13 suggested improvements to the setup:
Here are the 13 improvements suggested by commenters. If you think of others, you can write them in the comments section below.
- Remove the Christmas lights and get an LED strip running along the back of the desk to provide low bias lighting.
- Add more plants to your corner shelves.
- Replace your blinds with cellular screens or curtains.
- Add a headphone stand or headphone hook under the desk for AirPods Max.
- Try a soft rubber mat for the chair so you can move more easily on the carpet.
- Or get chair wheels in soft rubber that roll on carpet and wood.
- Close the gap between the Studio screens by pushing them together.
- Bend AirPods Max headbands to fit better (Justice mentioned they hurt his “big head”).
- Bring the keyboard closer to you for better ergonomics, so you can reach it even with your elbows tucked into the sides.
- Consider going with a standard keyboard unless you depend on the 10 keys for work. It forces you to reach further for the mouse.
- Try using a keyboard/mouse tray under the desk for a more natural and comfortable position for typing. It frees up desktop space and you can tuck it away when you’re done working.
- Add a HomePod mini on the right side for stereo pairing.
- Get an ultra-wide screen.
And if you like the wallpaper displayed on the screens, you can get it here.
Buy these items now:
Computers and laptop stand:
Screens and shelf:
Furniture and accessories:
If you would like to see your setup displayed on Cult of Macsend some high resolution pictures to [email protected]. Please provide a detailed list of your equipment. Let us know what you like or dislike about your setup, and fill us in on any special touches, challenges, and plans for new additions.